Manitoba Crop Diversification Centre (MCDC)
Location: Carberry, MB
Term Period: 10-12 Months (Renewable year to year)
Term starts in April, 2023 (Negotiable)
Closing Date: February 24, 2023
The Manitoba Crop Diversification Centre (MCDC), in Carberry Manitoba is an Industry-Government partnership applied research centre. The centre collaborates on projects with many industry groups within the province, collectively extending new innovations in agriculture to producers. The Centre’s mission, in brief, is to facilitate the development and adoption of science-based solutions for agricultural crop production.
The MCDC invites applications for the position of Field Research Associate to assist in agricultural applied research operations in Carberry, Manitoba. This is an excellent opportunity for agricultural graduates looking to broaden their knowledge of crop production in multiple crops (including potatoes, cereals, oilseeds, pulses etc.) and gain insight into field research methodologies.
The Field Research Associate will provide field operations and technical support to applied crop production and agricultural land management research at the Manitoba Crop Diversification Centre in Carberry. Responsibilities are to execute field experiments in agricultural crops. Activities include land preparation and maintenance, equipment operation and maintenance and crop husbandry related to crop seeding, maintenance, harvest and storage. Activities also include plot data collection and entry and assisting with report writing and organizing agricultural extension events.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Physically capable of working outdoors in various environmental conditions.
- Able to work extended hours during peak periods (growing and harvest seasons).
- Must possess and maintain a valid Manitoba class 5 driver’s license.
- Access to a personal vehicle.
- A Degree/Diploma in Agriculture or a combination of relevant education and experience in field research may be considered.
- Experience using the latest Agricultural technologies including GPS and Real Time Kinematic (RTK) guidance systems.
- Experience operating and maintaining farm equipment with safety as the primary objective.
- Knowledge of crop husbandry practices in a research setting.
- Strong organizational skills including the ability to prioritize work and meet time sensitive deadlines.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and ensure accuracy.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Excellent written communication skills.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint).
- Candidates who do not meet all essential criteria may be considered on an underfill basis at a commensurate rate of pay.
Apply by Email to:
Applied Research Specialist
Box 238, NE Corner of Hwy 1 & 5
Carberry, MB R0K 0H0