1 Year Term
The Westman Agricultural Diversification Organization is an applied agricultural research group funded by the province of Manitoba that operates in Melita and southwest Manitoba. WADO is seeking flexible, motivated and hardworking Research Technician for the 2021 field season. This one-year term (with possible extension). This is an excellent opportunity to grow with the region, learn new skills, and join an exciting program helping the local & provincial agriculture industry.
The Diversification Technician provides field operations and technical support to applied crop production and agricultural land management research at Diversification Centres. Responsibilities are to prepare for & execute field experiments in agricultural crops. Activities include file management, land preparation and maintenance, equipment operation & maintenance and crop husbandry related to crop seeding, maintenance, harvest and storage. Activities also include plot data collection, data entry, and assisting with report writing, communication and administrative functions.
Conditions of Employment:
- Must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
- Physically capable of working outdoors in various environmental conditions.
- Able to work extended hours during peak periods (growing and harvest seasons).
- Must possess and maintain a valid Manitoba class 5F driver’s license. Class 3F is an asset.
- Access to a personal vehicle for business purposes; to attend meetings and other work locations as required.
- Diploma or Degree in Agriculture or a combination of relevant education and experience in field research
- Experience operating and maintaining farm equipment
- Knowledge of crop husbandry practices in a research setting including seeding, pesticide applications and harvest
- Strong organizational skills and record keeping
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision
- Ability to pay attention to detail and ensure accuracy
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain positive working relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint)
- Experience supervising staff
- Experience in statistical design and analysis
- Experience using the latest Agricultural technologies including GPS and Real Time Kinematic (RTK) guidance systems
- Experience/ licensed with pesticide application
We thank all who apply and advise that only those selected for further consideration will be contacted. Your cover letter, resume and/or application must clearly indicate how you meet the qualifications.
Closing Date: April 30, 2021
Email Cover Letter and Resume to:
Scott Chalmers, P. Ag, Diversification Specialist
Questions: Cell: 204-522-5415