Internationally Educated Agrologists

The System: Regulated Profession

Agrology is a regulated profession in Canada. Each province and territory has its own regulator and registration requirements.

To work as an Agrologist in Manitoba, you must be registered with Manitoba Institute of Agrologists (Agrologists Manitoba) even if you have a university degree in Agrology or have worked as an Agrologist in another country.

Immigration vs Registration

Immigration and registration are two separate things. Agrologists Manitoba cannot help you immigrate to Canada and your immigration office cannot help you become registered as an Agrologist in Manitoba. You do NOT require a letter from Agrologists Manitoba in order to immigrate to Canada.

Your immigration office will assess your Agrology education and experience, and may select you to immigrate to Canada if it is confident you can find work and contribute to the economy. But your immigration office cannot guarantee that Agrologists Manitoba will register you to work as an Agrologist in Manitoba.

Non-Resident Application

You may initiate an application while not residing in Canada. An application as an Agrologist-in-Training may be accepted from a person not residing in Canada. You will be required to create an online application and submit the required documents. Your academic credentials will be assessed and that you will be informed about the results of the academic credential assessment. Read policy and procedure.


Before you spend time and money on the registration process, contact your immigration office to ensure that you meet the immigration requirements:

Registration Process

To work as an Agrologist in Manitoba, you must be registered with Agrologists Manitoba. There are two levels of registration:

Level Title Timeline Details
1. Agrologist-in-Training (AIT)* You must first be registered as an AIT AIT registration allows you to legally work as an Agrologist in Manitoba.
2. Full Status Agrologist:
Professional Agrologist (P.Ag.) or Technical Agrologist (Tech.Ag.)
Once registered as an AIT, you may complete the requirements for registration as a P.Ag. or Tech.Ag. Full status registration can lead to better jobs and higher salaries. All internationally educated applicants must complete a “Competency Assessment and Development” plan to reach full status registration as an agrologist.

*AIT is used on this website as an abbreviation for Agrologist-in-Training. It is not an official title/designation.

Step 1: Application

You must complete the Agrologist-in-Training (AIT) Online Application for Registration.

Step 2: Review

Agrologists Manitoba will conduct a preliminary review of your application.

Step 3: Assessment

The Admission and Registration Committee (ARC) will fully assess your application and make a decision.

Step 4: Decision

Agrologists Manitoba will inform you of the decision. If the decision states that your application is accepted, you will be registered as an AIT. If a decision states that your education meets the standard but is required to complete “Competency Development Plan”, you will be provided information with regards to the policy and process.

Step 5: Pursue Full Status

Once you are registered as an AIT, you must complete other requirements to become registered as a P.Ag. or Tech.Ag.

Competency Development

The policy is applied on an individual basis and is part of the application and registration process. Agrologists Manitoba will discuss a “Competency Development Plan” with you after all application documents are received and your academic credentials are assessed. If you are not employed in an agrology job, or in the agriculture or environment sector in Manitoba/Canada, the following steps will apply:

  • Respond to “Information Questions”.
  • Identify one or more competency requirement reduction pathways based on assessment of credentials, work experience, and area of practice.
  • Address and communicate competency requirements. This is a self-directed development plan where you will be required to exert time and effort into activities that will demonstrate acceptable competency levels.
  • Once you successfully completed “Competency Development Plan”, you will be eligible to register as an AIT.

(The Internationally Educated Agrologist Program (IEAP) – Post-Baccalaureate Diploma in Agrology is not currently available. The program was offered by the Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences at the University of Manitoba.)

English Language

There are no formal English language requirements for registration as an Agrologist. However, most employers will require you to have a relatively advanced level of communication skills in the four basic language skills: listening, speaking, reading, and writing. Therefore, you should be able to:

  • Participate in meetings and discussions of a complex nature
  • Express your ideas in speaking and writing
  • Read and comprehend technical documents
  • Write reports and complete documents

Free Test for Immigrants and Other Resources.


Agrologists Manitoba’s registration decision is based on information available from your initial application. If you wish to appeal the decision, or if you believe Agrologists Manitoba has misinterpreted your qualifications, please submit the following in writing:

  • Your name
  • Your address
  • The decision
  • The date of the decision letter
  • A statement indicating that you wish to appeal the decision
  • New information or additional clarification to demonstrate that you meet the requirements for registration with Agrologists Manitoba

Send the information to:
Manitoba Institute of Agrologists
201-38 Dafoe Road
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2

Agrologists Manitoba will reconsider the decision if you submit new information or additional clarification, and this may result in a different decision. Agrologists Manitoba will inform you of the final decision in writing.

If Agrologists Manitoba maintains its original decision, it is your right to seek additional guidance from a lawyer.

Read “Frequently Asked Questions“.

<<< Go back [Sub-menu Requirements]