The Provincial Council is the governing body of the Institute. The Council is made up from two groups – registered members elected by their peers and members of the public appointed in accordance with “The Agrologists Act”. The Council includes the Chair and the Vice-Chair and its main purpose is to establish policy for the Institute and set standards in the public interest.
The Council appoints committees required by “The Act” to ensure proper functioning of the Institute. The Committees are: Admission and Registration; Professional Standards and Compliance; Complaint Review; Judiciary; Audit; and, Governance.
Provincial Councilors – Elected
Casey Fox, P.Ag., Chair
Associate Vice-President, Agriculture, Concentra Financial
Registered and practicing member since 2003
Terry Betker, P.Ag.
President and CEO, Backswath Management Inc.
Registered and practicing member since 1989
Mark Fynn, P.Ag.
Manager, Quality Assurance and Animal Care, Manitoba Pork
Registered and practicing member since 2016
Robyn Harte, P.Ag.
Industry Development Specialist – Swine, Manitoba Agriculture
Registered and practicing member since 2007
Tim Hore, P.Ag.
Dean of Agriculture and Environment, Assiniboine Community College
Registered and practicing member since 2016
Wendy McDonald, P.Ag.
Customer Service Manager, Parrish & Heimbecker
Registered and practicing member since 2008
Dennis Robles, P.Ag.
Production Support and Pig Care Specialist, Swine Health Professionals Ltd.
Registered and practicing member since 2006
Michael Van Walleghem, P.Ag.
Compliance and Enforcement Officer, Health Canada’s Pesticide and Compliance Program
Registered and practicing member since 2001
Karin Wittenberg, Ph.D., P.Ag.
Dean, Faculty of Agricultural and Food Sciences, University of Manitoba
Registered and practicing member since 1984
Douglas Wilcox, Ph.D., P.Ag.
Manager, Product Knowledge and Support, Manitoba Agricultural Services Corporation
Registered and practicing member since 1992
Shelby Wray, Tech.Ag.
Senior Reclamation Program Manager, Good Lands Environmental Inc.
Registered and practicing member since 2013
Yilan Zhang, MSc, MBA, P.Ag.
Nursery Operation Specialist/Site QMS Champion & ESH Supervisor, Canola Trait and Pipeline Delivery, Global Breeding, Monsanto Canada Inc.
Registered and practicing member since 2011
Provincial Councilors – Appointees
John Carney, Provincial Council Appointee
Executive Director, Manitoba Livestock Manure Management
Beth Connery, Provincial Council Appointee
COO, Connery Riverdale Farms, Ltd.
D. Salín Guttormsson, LL.B, Provincial Council Appointee
Executive Director, Manitoba Association of Medical Radiation Technologists
The Council Committee Leads and their responsibilities are:
Admission and Registration – Wendy McDonald, P.Ag.
- Makes recommendations to Council regarding requirements and standards for admission and registration as a registered member.
- Considers applications for admission and registration in accordance with “The Act”, Bylaws and policies, and decides whether to approve, place conditions upon, suspend, or refuse an application.
Professional Standards and Compliance – Dennis Robles, P.Ag.
- Identifies, defines, and makes recommendations to Council regarding standards of practice for agrology in general, for each member category, and any specialties as required in the best interests of the public.
- Identifies, defines and makes recommendations to Council regarding continuing competence requirements and the assessment of those requirements in the best
interests of the public.
- Makes a referral to the Complaint Review Committee regarding competence or unprofessional conduct.
Complaint Review – Appointed as Necessary
- Elected members of Council and members of the Judiciary Committee are not allowed to sit on this Committee.
- Recommends related procedures to Council.
- Reviews complaints about members.
- Investigates a complaint in accordance with “The Act”, Bylaws and policies, by taking any steps the committee considers necessary, including summoning before it the member whose conduct is the subject of the complaint.
- Makes a written report to the Judiciary Committee recommending action regarding formal complaints.
Judiciary Committee – Appointed as Necessary
- Elected members of Council and members of the Complaint Committee are not allowed to sit on this committee.
- Recommends related procedures to Council and publish all approved procedures to the public.
- Reviews reports received from the Complaint Review Committee.
- Conducts a hearing if necessary and make written orders and impose penalties or conditions on a member in accordance with “The Act”, bylaws and policies.
Audit – John Carney
- Specifies scope of audit prior to outside audit.
- Identifies a slate of competent auditors from which the Council can choose.
Governance – Karin Wittenberg, P.Ag.
- Screens potential Council members for Council consideration.
- Assures that training of new Council members is completed.
- Assures that Bylaws and the Act are current and relevant.
- Identifies a multi-year strategy to assure a legislative environment conducive to regulation in the public interest for Council consideration and implementation
- Prepares for the Annual General Meeting (AGM) and AGM plan document for Council consideration.